Profiles of Historic Sites
Mission CPR Station ca. 1900s
Anthony Taulbut fonds/001-1978-78-50
Courtesy Mission Community Archives
Canadian Pacific Railway Station
(Formerly) 33010 Railway Avenue
Date of Original Construction:
1909 (destroyed by fire in 1999)
Building no longer exists
Recognized as a municipal historic site by the District of Mission, 1982.
Protected under the federal Railway Heritage Protection Act, 1991.
The CPR Train Station once stood in the "Y" formed by CPR lines on the western end of Railway Avenue, at the foot of Grand Street. It was destroyed by fire in 1999.
The first CPR station was further east near St. Mary's Mission. The third CPR station to be built in Mission was a prefab structure made by BC Mills, Timber and Trading. It was manufactured in New Westminster, and the panels shipped to "Mission City" in 1909. "Mission Junction" was the only line connecting with the United States. Situated in the "Y" formed by trains coming from the east and west, and joined by the line from the south, the station and yards were alive with activity. Passenger trains from Montreal, St. Paul, Seattle, Agassiz and Vancouver stopped here daily, with as many as 30 trains a day.
The station included a ticket office, baggage area, and waiting room. On the platform slightly east, there was originally a lunch room where passengers could buy food while they waited. At one time, the platform was a beautiful sight, the planter boxes filled with bright flowers. A water tower originally stood just west of the station, as early steam engines depended on a ready source of water at each station.
In 1982 the District of Mission recognized the building as a municipal historic site. Despite this action and due to a lack of government funding, Canadian Pacific Railway closed the building in 1990 and slated it for demolition.
However, the building was not demolished at this time and it was given protection under the Federal Railway Heritage Protection Act in 1991. In October of 1993 the interior of the building was damaged by fire, but the exterior walls remained in good condition and structurally sound. In 1994 the Kinsmen Club acquired the building and made plans for its relocation and restoration, to retained its many original features. Detailed plans were drawn up for restoration, and a vigorous fundraising campaign was started.
Unfortunately, the building was burned down January 25, 1999 due to arson and has not been re-built. It is, however, fondly remembered by the community, and is featured in many art works and photographs and oral histories.
People Associated with the Site:
- Mission Kinsmen Club: spearheaded the campaign to relocate and restore the building
- Del Drew and Cal Crawford were co-chairs of the project.
- Bill Kells- Writer and compiler of Kinsmen Club Proposed Restoration Plan.
- Linnea Battel, local history advocate
Prefab wooden structure; the central section was two storeys, with an attic and dormer windows. There were numerous double-hung windows on both the platform level and in the upper storey, facing south. The exterior of the building included shingle cladding, ornamental mouldings, roof brackets and trim. An awning extended from the lower roof around the building.
Where to get further information:
- Mission Community Archives holdings
- "Railway History" document available in Heritage Places vertical file (Industry-CPR)
- Heritage Building Restoration Plan (1994) published by the Kinsmen Club of Mission, 1994
- Guide to Mission City BC walking tour book (1995)
Last Modified June 20, 2015