Profiles of Historic Sites
8423 Cedar Street | Cedar Valley | Est. 1896
Large 2 ½ storey house on the flat lot at the north-west corner of Cedar Street and Cherry Avenue; recently renovated with new siding, windows, etc. the original farm house is scarcely visible beneath the modernization.
7309 James Street | Central Mission | Est. 1902
The Vicarage is a two-storey house finished in a Tudor-style white stucco with brown batten trim, just north of the All Saints Anglican Church. The house has 5 large diamond-paned windows on the front facing Second Avenue.
41608 Lougheed Hwy | Nicomen Island | Est. ca. 1925
This is one of the earliest homesteads on the Fraser. It is still a rural farm located on the north-east boundary of Nicomen Island. The house is south of the Deroche bridge and surrounded by large fields, set back from the Lougheed Highway.
33010 Railway Avenue | Downtown BIA | Est. 1909
The CPR Train Station once stood in the "Y" formed by CPR lines on the western end of Railway Avenue, at the foot of Grand Street. It was destroyed by fire in 1994.
Harbour Street | Flats | Est. 1891
The CPR bridge spans the Fraser River; connecting the rail lines from the USA through Matsqui in the south to Mission in the north. The bridge is currently made of steel and is about 1700 feet long.
6967 Bridge Street | Flats | Est. ca. 1890
Originally a wood frame industrial building, modified over the years for various uses, primarily food processing. It was located on the corner of Harbour and Bridge Street, at the North end of the CPR Bridge.
Ridgeview Road, N.E. of Mission | McConnell Creek | Designated 1986
The park is 9.5 hectares in size and is located just northeast from Mission, 14 km down Sylvester Road, then near the eastern end of Ridgeview Road.
31170 Dewdney Trunk Road | Stave Falls | Est. 1912
Formerly known as Clarkes General Store, the two storey building has a false front that makes it look squared at the top. It once hosted gas pumps, a restaurant, a grocery store, living quarters, and dance floor.
Lougheed Hwy | Deroche | Pre 1890
Small rural community, north-east of Nicomen Island, about 18 km east of Mission on Lougheed Highway #7. The community includes a school, a community hall, and a few remaining retail stores and a gas station.
Lougheed Hwy | Dewdney | Pre 1890
This is a small rural community where the Lougheed Highway crosses the CPR rail line. Once the commercial centre for local farmers, it now includes a school, Michael's Restaurant, Dewdney General Store.
33700 block Lougheed Hwy E. to Mary Street | East Mission | Est. 1948
When travelling eastward from downtown Mission, you can't miss the rock retaining wall along the north side of the Lougheed Highway, which stretches for several blocks east of Stave Lake Road to Mary Street.
8502 McTaggart Street | Hatzic | Est. 1920
Ferncliff Gardens is an internationally acclaimed "pioneer flower farm" located on McTaggert Street in Hatzic, just east of Mission. The members of the Jack family have adapted their business over the past eighty-eight years, making it the oldest family operated business in Mission.
33157 1st Avenue | Downtown BIA | Est. 1929
This building was originally Mission City's first Municipal Hall. It operated from 1929 until 1974 and since then has been occupied by a number of restaurants. This building is located on the north side of First Avenue between the current Rex Cox Men's Wear and CIBC.
10799 Stave Lake Road | Hatzic | Est. 1918
A beautifully located home site on the central western slope of Hatzic Prairie, a 150 acres dairy farm, hay fields, barns and outbuildings.
Lougheed Hwy | Lake Errock | Pre 1890
A small community about 20 km east of Mission. The former Lake Errock Gas Station & Cabins are now scarcely noticeable. The community currently has a new gas station and general store, large community church, and a cluster of homes and small farms scattered along the highway.
33219 First Avenue | Downtown BIA | Est. 1924
The Masonic Hall is a two-storey, white building on the north side of First Avenue, in the downtown business district; it is the second building east of the Welton Street intersection, betwen the Bank of Nova Scotia and the Gold Bin jewelry store.
33022 and 33046 3rd Avenue | Central Mission | Est. 1910
Eye-catching 3 storey Edwardian style residence, just a few blocks north of downtown Mission. Built of Clayburn brick, with a front verandah facing north; the property slopes steeply to the south, with magnificent views of the Fraser River and Mt. Baker.
33529 1st Avenue | East Mission | Est. ca. 1925
The Mission Arts Centre is in a stately old home on First Avenue at the corner of Catherwood Street, about 3 blocks from downtown Mission.
33191 First Avenue | Downtown BIA | Est. 1935
Mission's Post Office is a three storey brick and cement building, a well known fixture of the downtown core. It sits at the corner of First Avenue and Welton Street with a south eastern facing entrance.
8 km East of Mission | Nicomen Island | Pre 1890
Nicomen Island is a large island approximately 8 kilometers east of downtown Mission; the Nicomen Slough, a narrow stretch of water, surrounds the island. There are bridges across the Lougheed Highway just past Dewdney and before Deroche. Today the land is primarily agricultural, mostly large dairy farms.
33507 Thompson Avenue | Flats | Est. ca. 1923
This is an industrial building, single storey, set back from the road, just south of the CPR tracks. Over the years, it has been used by various companies for fruit and berry processing. Currently the building is mainly white with a green roof and a large sign on top that reads "WOODSTOVES".
33047 First Avenue | Downtown BIA | Est. 1940
The Record Office is a single storey wood frame building, situated along the strip of shops on the north side of First Avenue between James and Grand Street. The building has a flat front with a flush door and two large display windows.
32965 First Avenue | Downtown BIA | Est. 1936
The old legion is a large building that sits in the "V" formed where the Lougheed Highway meets the west end of First Avenue. The front entrance faces north-east.
29485 Donatelli Avenue | Silverdale | Est. 1890-1910
One room wood frame church, with a simple belfry tower over the entrance. Located on 10 to 12 acres of farmland, just north of the CPR tracks, and south of the Lougheed Highway about 5 km west of downtown Mission
32995 First Avenue | Downtown BIA | Est. 1908
A square cement-block building on the corner of First Avenue and Grand Street with two storeys above ground. The building is currently white with green trim and has many windows on all sides and old-fashioned overhangs.